Ways to Support Health Care Not-for-Profits
Health care fundraising is about a fundamental promise:
Reinvesting dollars to provide quality care for patients and their families. It allows the organization to improve and expand its programs, services, and facilities to meet the needs of an evolving patient population.
Not-for-profit health care organizations like MJHS Health System offer essential health services to patients and their families. Although insurance reimbursements cover basic services, most often, it’s not enough to give the type of care that patients or residents need and deserve. With funds raised by MJHS Foundation, MJHS has made advancements in care, like providing patients with dementia art and music therapy and expanding resources to support caregivers. It is charitable support from generous community members that make it possible to provide care that goes above and beyond medical care.
The core American value of generosity has not changed over the years, but technological advances have changed in an increasingly interconnected world. You can raise money to help support the causes close to your heart—like health care—in a fun and productive way.
What are some ways to raise funds for not-for-profits?
There are many ways to get involved with health care fundraising. Whether you are a generous person who appreciates the need, or you are the loved one of someone who benefited from receiving these additional supportive services, you can pay it forward in meaningful and rewarding ways. Your efforts could include:
- Start a Facebook Fundraiser: Powerful social media tools, like Facebook Fundraiser, can leverage your social media platform to raise funds. Facebook charges no fees for donations made to not-for-profits- so this is a great option. Any funds raised will be paid directly to the not-for-profit you designate. Learn more about creating a not-for-profit fundraiser on Facebook.
- Sponsor a Fundraising Event. Most not-for-profit organizations hold annual fundraising events to raise money for their cause. This is a fun and exciting way to meet other like-minded people, support a cause and have lots of fun. Events can range from golf outings to wine tastings.
- Participate in a Run/Walk. This self-initiated technique is an exciting way to raise money and stay healthy. Many charities already hold their own Run/Walk events, like the American Cancer Society Relay For Life, which has been bringing together communities to honor and remember loved ones for over 35 years. And the AIDS Walk, which has been walking to raise funds since 1985! But what if your cause doesn’t have a dedicated run/walk? Then you can start one or incorporate in an already existing one. For example, for the NYC Marathon, you can pledge to run on behalf of the patients and families of MJHS Health System and garner support and funds from your friends and families. Not only will it give them a great reason to come cheer you on, but you get to raise funds for the Foundation of your choice. Truly a win, win!
- Sign up For Amazon Smile. Amazon’s e-commerce fundraising platform allows you to select a designated charitable organization like MJHS Foundation. With each eligible purchase you make, Amazon will donate 0.5% of that purchase at no extra cost or fees to the shopper. To get started, visit smile.amazon.com and choose your charity.
- Participate in #GivingTuesday. Giving Tuesday is celebrated every year on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. It is a call to action to switch the holiday’s focus on consumerism and buying to giving. It is also an excellent opportunity to further your donation, as many not-for-profit have donors match the donations! Learn more about #GivingTuesday.
- Start a Memorial Fund. A memorial fund is a charitable fund established to accept donations in memory of or honor someone who has passed. It is a personal way to keep their legacy alive. Most people create a memorial fund to raise money for a cause that was important to their loved one or personal to them. If you are interested in starting a Memorial fund, we can help.
- Make a Planned Gift- Planned Giving (sometimes called Gift Planning or Legacy Giving) enables you to make more significant gifts to charitable organizations in your will or estate plan. It is a powerful way you can continue to ensure that patients and families in your community will receive our compassionate care for years to come.
At MJHS Health System, We Dedicate Ourselves to Those We Care For, Each Other, and Our Community
If you choose to donate to MJHS Health System, you will be supporting the continuation of a 115-year commitment to caring for at-risk New Yorkers. It will also allow us to provide high-quality care for our patients and residents and emotional support and guidance for their families.