Fun and Easy Ways to Support Not-for-Profit Health Care Organizations
Health care fundraising is about a fundamental promise: every person deserves quality care delivered with compassion, dignity and respect. It allows the organization to improve and expand its programs, services, and facilities to meet the needs of an evolving patient base.
Not-for-profit health care organizations like MJHS Health System offer important health services to patients and their families. Although state or federal grants and reimbursements may provide some of this funding for basic services, most often it’s not enough to give the type of care that patients or residents need and deserve. With funds raised by MJHS Foundation, MJHS has been able to help celebrate milestones with our pediatric hospice patients and provide dementia patients with art and music therapy. It is charitable support from generous members of the community that makes it possible to continue going above and beyond for our patients with compassionate care that maintains a patient’s dignity and quality of life.
Fundraising Efforts That Are as Fun as They Are Rewarding
The core American value of generosity has not changed over the years, but technological advances in an increasingly interconnected world have changed. You can raise money to help support the causes close to your heart—like health care—in a fun and productive way.
There are many ways to get involved with health care fundraising at MJHS Health System. Whether you are a generous person who simply appreciates the need, or you are the loved one of someone who benefited from the care of MJHS, you can pay it forward in meaningful and rewarding ways. Your efforts could include:
- A Peer to Peer Online Fundraiser. Powerful social media tools, like Facebook Fundraiser, can leverage your social media platform to raise funds for MJHS Health System. Because MJHS is a not-for-profit organization, there are no fees for this fundraiser. You can share the value of giving with your online friends and their friends.
- Example: A Step Challenge. This self-initiated technique is an exciting way to raise money for MJHS and stay healthy. You’ll invite teams to pledge to walk 10,000 steps each day for a month. Each team member will ask sponsors to give for each successful day, for example, $10 for each successful day of 10,000 steps. A Step Challenge is competitive, so it’s fun for participants and helps them meet the CDC’s recommendation for moderate exercise each week.
- 5K Run or Walk. This is a tried and true method to generate community involvement as well as raise funds for a worthy cause. Be sure to visit mjhsfoundation.org to learn more about our 5K open to runners and walkers of all ages. This is a fun-filled local event complete with live DJ, professional announcer, and one-of-a kind MJHS event gear. It may be held virtually this year.
- Amazon Smile. Amazon’s e-commerce fundraising platform allows you to select a designated charitable organization like MJHS Foundation. With each eligible purchase you make, Amazon will donate 0.5% of that purchase at no extra cost or fees to the shopper or MJHS Foundation. To get started, simple visit smile.amazon.com and choose MJHS Foundation as your charity.
- Virtual Events. When events could not happen in person, we connected virtually to support MJHS. We held a virtual wine tasting where 100% of the cost to participate went to supporting the family caregivers of our hospice patients. After registration, participants received bottles of wine, suggestions for pairings, raffle tickets, and more in preparation for the fun. Additionally, the Young Leadership Council is meeting virtually to plan for our annual pediatric holiday gift distribution.
- Honor a Loved One Through the Tree of Life or Circle of Caring. The Tree of Life and Circle of Caring offer opportunities to donate in honor of someone that means a lot to you, be it family member or celebrity hero, and create a long-lasting tribute. You can also show your support by honoring a health care worker or starting a memorial for a loved one. At the same time, your donation supports the compassionate care that MJHS provides every day.
- Leaving a Legacy. The MJHS Sustainer’s Society recognizes donors who have included MJHS in their estate plans. Leaving a planned gift helps to ensure the future of our services far into the future while preserving a personal legacy.
At MJHS Health System, We Dedicate Ourselves to Those We Care For, Each Other, and Our Community
Your donation to MJHS Health System will support continuation of a 110-year commitment to caring for at-risk New Yorkers with compassion, dignity and respect. It will also allow us to provide high-quality care for our patients, and residents, as well as emotional support and guidance for their families.